Friday, July 3, 2015

The Joy of Eating . . .

I hope I never walk into a restaurant and see a sign like this.  In defense of those in the food industry, I can empathize with you about how difficult it is to put up with grouchy patrons.  In defense of the patrons, we want our food served within a reasonable time, prepared correctly and to taste good.  In short, we want to have a pleasing and memorable eating experience. 

Okay, so here's a thought.  How many of you eat just for the joy of eating?  You know, you eat whatever you want, whenever you want, cooked however you want and for no other reason than the joy of it.  I've known people like this and on the surface they appear to have happier and more complete lives. They are usually surrounded by like-minded appetites and eating routines.  I'm not talking about gluttony, or ignorance, but the kind of eating atmosphere where every meal becomes a celebration.  It happens.  Watching this makes the casual observer wonder what is it about the food they're eating that makes them so happy.  Well, let's take a look at what food does for the body.  

There is a common belief that food gives the body "information" by the vitamins, minerals and nutrients it contains.  In watching an early-morning-magazine news program, I've now learned that by eating certain foods, I can become an overall happier person. I've always been a pretty happy person, but I guess smiling a little more wouldn't hurt, either.  This "mood" theory is rooted in the fact that the linings of our stomach and intestines contain a certain amount of bacteria that reacts directly with our brains as it's carried through the vagus nerve.  If the bacteria properties are influenced by eating foods that are likely to increase infection, illness or cause gastrointestinal problems, and these same properties travel to the brain through the vagus nerve, grouchiness, irritability and "just plain meanness" of your projected will and spirit can result. This, in addition to an increased likelihood of anxiety and depression, is not a desired result of eating for me. Frankly, I hadn't thought about it before; but, it does make sense.  And, of course, it is another solid reason to include probiotics in our diets.  Binge-eaters don't need anything that increases their risk for a BED episode - whether or not it's caused by anxiety, depression or mood changes. 

Perhaps the like-minded appetites mentioned in the first paragraph already know this.  Maybe in their own ways, they're celebrating the ability to enjoy good food with sufficient nutrients that will assist the body in doing its work.  There is no shortage of research on what foods benefit our bodies most.  Perhaps the atmosphere of eating somewhere besides their own homes make the event a little more special.  And, more probably, the event of eating with other people, exchanging thoughts, ideas and philosophies improves not only the quality of the food but also its psychological effect upon us.  


Earlier this week I had a pretty bad eating experience.  Let me be clear about this.  The food wasn't bad - it was the manager of the private club where I ate it.  He holds himself in high esteem and projects his opinions upon others - whether they're wanted or not.  I hadn't seen him in some time, and knew that I'd have to tolerate at least one of his chauvinistic comments as he visited my table.  There's not much we agree upon.  However, the food served at this particular venue is usually superb.  Sure enough, he made a derogatory comment about what I was eating.  There's no doubt that I would have had a much more pleasant eating experience if he had never shown up.    This is not the first time he has done this.  He targets people who let him get away with such conduct.  I guess he thinks it makes him a bigger man if he can make others think of themselves as smaller.  There was plenty I could have said, but I decided to take a different tact than most who cower, make excuses or agree with him. I looked him squarely in the face and said, "Well, it came from your kitchen."  Red-faced, it took him about three seconds to walk away.  As I said, there's not much we agree on. Binge-eater, over-eater or night-eater, there are times when having an attitude such as the one pictured on the side of this paragraph is as fitting to give as it is to receive. This was one of them. 

On a nicer note, in closing, I'm wishing you all a safe and happy 4th of July celebration with your families and friends.  It's been a week now since I fell off the wagon, and I promise not to use this holiday as an excuse to do it again.  Thank you for following my blog and please know that I appreciate your support
Copyright © 1/1/2015 -      , CB, Bed Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment