Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Ensuring Your Continued Mobility

Happy Wednesday!  Now that I'm 6 weeks post injury to my foot/ankle, I've decided to start walking again.  I think I'm ready to join my new walking partner in adding at least another two miles to my usual step count.  Remember, I'm still nursing this ankle, so a total step count of 3 miles, for now, isn't such a bad deal.  

While I'm on the subject, here's a little info on how and why you should add those extra steps to your daily routine.  Did you know the average American takes just a little over 5000 steps a day?  That translates into 2.42 miles. Americans walk the least of any civilized society.  That certainly says a lot, doesn't it? 

I've had the good fortune to live all over the world.  In addition to this, I've visited more cities than I care to recall.  But, when I thought about permanently relocating to any city, one of the things I took into consideration was what design advantages it gave to the walking public. No longer do I have to give this a thought; but, I do still wonder about it from time.  So now I'll share a few insights with you.  Ranking from 10, low to 1, high,
the cities with the most walking-to-work populations are as follows:  10) Jersey City, NJ, 9) Philadelphia, Pa, 8) Honolulu, HI, 7) Seattle, WA, 6) Madison, WI, 5) San Francisco, CA, 4) New York City, NY, 3) Pittsburgh, PA, 2) Washington, D.C., and 1) no surprise here, Boston, MA. Over 10 per cent of the populations of the last four cities walk to work; and, in  Boston, it’s a whopping 15.1 per cent. Having said that, I can tell you that in my current work status, by comparison, I'll have to make a deliberate and concentrated effort to make 5000 steps per day.  As I said, I'm a writer, and most of my work day involves a sedentary lifestyle.  

So, what if you're caught in the same circumstances as I?  Are you sentenced to an hour or more on the treadmill? If you have to walk your dog, will you wear the pads off his paws when you take him for his evening walk? Lots of things to consider - but the easiest one is to establish a benchmark.  This is where the trusty pedometer comes into play.  Seeing the number of steps you've taken toward your registered goal can be very motivating.  There are any number of devices on the market today to help you to monitor
your walking progress. Prices for them range from $9.99 to... well, you know. But, the point is to design a routine that helps you to meet your walking goals.  And, sometimes, we all need a little help - whether emotional or physical - in doing this.  In a previous post, I mentioned that I've acquired a new walking partner. Knowing that you'll enjoy good conversation, improve your blood pressure and glucose levels, and breathe in as much fresh air as you want, are all good incentives.  

As we age, continued unimpaired mobility becomes a huge concern.  I can attest to this as mine has definitely been impaired by my recent foot injury.  So, in closing, I'll ask you this:  What better way than walking today is there to actually ensure your mobility for tomorrow? Copyright © 1/1/2015 -      , CB, Bed Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment