Friday, July 24, 2015

And so it goes ....

Happy Friday, everybody!  Like you, I'm so very glad this is the end of my workweek.  And, for those of you who work split shifts and a non-traditional work week, as long as it’s not your "Monday," you're in good shape, too!  Did I mention I'm self-employed? Well, if you're self-employed, you know that you're really obligated to working your business at any time of the day or night - whenever it suits you; and, if the majority of your clients work a traditional work week, then at least you can take a break knowing they probably won't call until Monday morning.

So, having said all of this about traditional and non-traditional work weeks, it brings us to the subject of weekends.  Over-eaters, night-eaters, and binge-eaters really aren't swayed by any particular day of the week, but there does seem to be more opportunity for bad eating behavior on the weekend. Like many other guilty pleasures, what we do in secret usually remains just that - secret.  But here's the deal. Over-eaters, night-eaters, and binge-eaters usually behave very well in front of other people. And, as you already know, on the weekend there's a better chance of participating in multiple social scenarios.  So, typically what happens is that we're "good" when other people are around, but when we return to the privacy and "safety" of our own homes, well . . .  that's another story.  


By exhibiting this "secret" eating behavior, we have just paid our official dues to enter the "Eating-Disorder Club."  If you look at the pictured eating pattern of "problem" eaters, you can see just how the cycle, of paying your dues in this most-undesirable club, goes.  It's not an enviable one.  

Personally, I'm in a combination of the Guilt-Restrict stages right now.  And, I wouldn't be there if I hadn't already effectively paid my dues by participating in the Bingeing stage.  In an earlier post, I mentioned that I had lost a "whole four pounds." In the scheme of lowering body mass index, four pounds is nothing.  In the scheme of overall weight loss, four pounds really is insignificant. But in the much-desired scenario of redirecting numbers on a bathroom scale, there are only two ways to go - and in the case of those of us who are clinically "obese," "down" is the only direction we hope for.  And, in that scenario, four pounds is something to celebrate! Yay!

So, as I mentioned, I'm currently in the combination Guilt-Restrict cycle.  Like every other over-eater, night-eater, and binge-eater I know, I'm lamenting.  Now, get this:  I'm lamenting - not whining.  The difference is that I know what I've done; and, I'm taking responsibility for it.  My remorse and guilt emotions are genuine.  The question is whether, or not, it runs deep enough in my psyche to actually do something about it. And so it goes. 

On the other hand, there's always the possibility of being truly addicted to food.  Many of us are.  I've always praised myself for never smoking.  And, with members of my immediate family practicing medicine professionally, at a very early age I had an unusual insight to the ravages of drug abuse, as well. But food is that silent enemy that sneaks up on you, no matter how strongly you've warned the other vices to stay away.  

If you look at food in a positive way, you know that your body has to have it to function properly.  Weekends don't always offer opportunities for healthy eating.  But, the reality of it is that it begins with the planning of every meal you put on your plate.  If you are an over-eater, night-eater, or binge-eater, you know what it takes to practice self-control in eating scenarios.  I'm not saying that you can just fix an idea in your head and go forward.  Most food-addicts can't do that.  I'm one of them.  But there are ways you can help yourself to feel better about food and what it does for your emotional satisfaction vs. why and how your body actually uses it. 

Education is a powerful force.  And, frankly, when I started researching the risks associated with obesity, the amount of comfort I derived from my eating disorder was significantly reduced.  Have you ever seen an enlarged heart? Have you ever looked at a fat cell under a microscope?  Have you ever looked at a cancer cell under a microscope?  Have you ever thought about how much your quality of life could be reduced by a stroke?    If you're not a diabetic, have you ever thought about being held hostage to a daily insulin injection? These are just some of the scenarios of potential health risks caused by obesity.  

And, if you're like me, you don't like the thought of impairing your mobility. I can tell you it's already happened to me. No, I'm not so fat that I can't walk, but I can tell you that my Body Mass Index prohibits me from running.  A human heart can only take so much.  Our feet can only take so much.  Those under-appreciated pivotal and rotating joints called "ankles" can only take so much. Knees and hips can only take so much. When you're obese, you've declared war not only on your entire body but, in particular, these noted areas as well.  
  
So, I'm making a suggestion.  This weekend, declare a moratorium and cease-fire in this self-inflicted surge of insults to your general health.  See if you can incorporate sound eating decisions into your behavior for three days.  If you start today, Friday, you'll definitely realize a resulting difference by Monday.   

Even if all you do is feel better.
Copyright © 1/1/2015 -      , CB, Bed Warrior 

No comments:

Post a Comment