Sunday, July 5, 2015

So, there's a secret here . . .

What is it that brings us to our senses about certain things? Is it the realization that we're playing "Keeping Up with the Joneses" or maybe when we realize that we're "swimming upstream without a paddle" or that we might even be "chasing butterflies without a net"?   What happens when we acknowledge the epiphany to be worthwhile and make a conscious decision to act upon its message? 

Over-eaters, binge-eaters, and night-eaters have plenty of chances for epiphanies. If they examine their behaviors, they gain knowledge every day. No, I'm not saying that you have to go about examining your every move.  But here's the deal - if you do the same things over and over again, you're either setting yourself up for success or defeat, especially in an "eating disorder" world.  I can give you a personal example of my behavior that sets me up for failure, and as innocent as it seems, it does encourage me to eat in all the wrong ways.
  
Let's say, for example, that it's a Sunday afternoon, and although I've needed to go to the grocery store for the last two days, now – for the third day in a row - I've decided that I can "make do" on whatever sparse offerings my refrigerator and kitchen cupboards have to offer.  It's a fact that none of the contents of either are conducive to a complete, or nutritious, meal.  So after assessing the disappointments of the situation, I have to make a decision.  I can postpone going to the grocery store and make a parade of misfit culinary preparations during the day to get me by until I have no other choice; or,  I can cave in and go grocery shopping where I am, hopefully, among very few others on the same mission. 

If I decide not to go food shopping, I have now taken the first steps to continue down an eating path that usually has no more value than a temporary fix to a whatever-kind of junkie. That's exactly how it happens.  The insufficient "meals" are usually inadequate in size, nutritionally incomplete and most probably high calorie.  But they satisfy the mental urge to eat something, ... anything, ... or whatever now.  And then the real consequential behavior sets in. As a last resort, binge-eaters buy varied selections of, usually, junk food to eat, over-eaters buy huge amounts of, whatever, food to eat, and night-eaters decide that any of the foods from the above two categories are best if eaten, of course, at night. 


So, there's a secret here.  And although it's a "secret," it's still as obvious as being hidden in plain sight and remedied by tweaking your grocery-shopping routine just a little more than most.  Do yourself a favor and don't procrastinate about going to the grocery store. If you have to, go food shopping a day earlier than needed.  It works.  There's no doubt, the first time you make yourself do this, it will be a pain. The second time is better, as by that time you've set yourself up for 21 continuous days of no there's-nothing-to-eat-in-this-house panic.  And as for the third time you do it ... well, you know what they say about doing anything for 30 consecutive days.   

Over-eaters, binge-eaters, and night-eaters eat as they do for many reasons, not the least of which is the satisfaction they get from disobeying the eating rules. Call it promiscuous, rebellious or maverick behavior - or whatever you want.  The reality is that it's "abnormal" behavior, and we all know that through mindfulness, discipline and conscientious effort our chances of reducing the frequency of these kinds of eating episodes are enhanced.   

When I had my epiphany of going food shopping the day before I actually needed to, I realized that even under the weight of my own painful and disappointing hunger cravings, I could do better.  I have a theory about eating disorders caused by psychological triggers.  Instead of "in response to" these triggers, my strategy is to be "proactive" to them. If I know that I'm going to be caught in a trigger situation(s) that I can't avoid, the least I can do for myself is to prepare for them by making sure I have something nutritious to eat before I'm "caught."   I'm not saying eat a full meal or take inappropriate advantage of a chance to eat before these triggers. What I am saying is that if you eat an appropriate amount of something nutritious beforehand, it gives you a mental advantage of having already dealt with the predictable resulting stress in a reasonable manner.  It doesn't always work; but, I can promise you that there are times that it does, too.  And, if it helps me beat the odds for disastrous eating behaviors, I'm all for it. 

How about you?
Copyright © 1/1/2015 -      , CB, Bed Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment