Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Boredom vs. Anxiety vs. Hunger

Good  Wednesday morning!  I'm writing this, early in the day, as much for myself as I am for you.  It's been a  couple of days since I posted "real-time" entry on this blog.  As you know, I'm in Chattanooga, and during a horrendous storm last night, I had a realization.  The internet was out, the cable was out, and the phone was out. And, there are also certain places "on the mountain" that cell-phone reception is compromised on a regular basis.

Given all of this information as the setting for last night's situation, you should also know that I am both a reader and a writer, but the only thing I wanted to do during all of this "unplugged" time, was eat.  I can't say that my eating behavior was at its best,  but it was certainly not at its worst, either. No, there wasn't any TV reception; no, there wasn't any phone connection (cell, VoiP, or otherwise); and, no there wasn't any internet connection. But, much to my dismay, there was ice cream - and plenty of it. It was one of those "rainy day" kind of things with me, which serves as a huge justification on most issues; but, not on this one.  At least that's what I kept telling myself.  And, even though I was working on a contracted writing project in the living room, I swear I could hear it calling my name from the kitchen.

Sugar can be a powerful thing. With that instant soothing sensation it gives our system, we quickly learn what seems to comfort and stabilize us.  The fact is that it does exactly the opposite.  Did you know for all that temporary small relief that you get from sugar, the long-term effects and potential and permanent health risks are huge? Okay, so follow the yellow-brick road here, and you'll get it.  Consistent sugar intake means you're taking in more calories.  If you decrease your activity or take in an excess of calories you, simply put, get fat.  Being "fat," could lead to obesity.  Obesity can, and does, lead to other health risks such as Hypertension, Diabetes, Heart Disease, Cancer and Stroke. It also causes Liver and Kidney disease, through those organs' failure to process intake of it in mass quantities.  Yes, editors, I did capitalize all of those health conditions, as whether it's correct punctuation or not, I think these threats deserve our respect.  Now you see just how powerful sugar can be.  What is it they say about power? Oh, that's right. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."  That pretty well sums up the power that sugar has over our bodies.  It "corrupts" them - or at least their precious functions.

So, I'm going to tell you the same thing I'm telling myself about my misbehavior last night. Think about all of this health information the next time you want to eat a lot of sugar.  And, if you're suffering through an outage of all of your service subscriptions, grab a good book to settle your thoughts, occupy your time and get you through the "crisis." The long-term effect will be much better for you.

And, your kidneys, heart, liver, circulatory and immune systems will thank you.
 Copyright © 1/1/2015 -      , CB, Bed Warrior

1 comment:

  1. So true. I'm trying to become more disciplined with my eating habits right now... it's nearly impossible if I'm not doing anything. But if I give myself a task, pick up a book, basically have anything else to occupy my mind, I don't go to the kitchen to grab that snack. In fact, my mind stops thinking about it altogether. It's more than just actual need of food that makes us think about eating!

    ReplyDelete