Thursday, July 30, 2015

Hydrating Snacks and Meals

Many of you already know I make a full-time living as a professional writer.  If you happen to be a writer, you know how a typical day evolves.   On many days, I find myself inside my home and writing most of the day.  Yes, I have a laptop.  Yes, I have a tablet.  Yes, I have a netbook.  Do they even use those things anymore? Yes, if I wanted to, I could write on my phone.  But, if you're a writer, you also know that we do our best work where we're most comfortable; and, for me, that's at my writing desk, in my writing room.   

So, on the days that I have to leave the house to run various errands, fulfill appointments, or meet for some kind of social gathering, I find myself rushing to get out of the house; and rushing, even more so, to go home.  It's an interesting phenomenon.  Simply put, I'm an introvert and could even be described as a "recluse."  Fine, by me.   

Having said all of this, when I finally do decide to make a day of it outside my home, I notice that if I don’t pay close attention, I may not hydrate myself enough.  On hot dry days, that can be pretty dangerous.  So, I wanted to take this opportunity to talk a little about easy nutritious snacks and meals that have a high-water content.  What happens when you've got a busy day ahead of you? In my case, it's pretty simple. If I'm not careful, I'll yield to temptation and begin to ponder just what I'd like to munch on that I can only get by going through a drive-through window.  Yes, I'm that bad!  

So, here's the deal.  How about starting your day with a healthy breakfast that's easy to make and will also hydrate your body? The beauty of Breakfast Spring Rolls can do just that for you. The recipe I use yields a dozen; so that makes it even better, as I can freeze them. With a little jicama, carrot, Chinese sausage, eggs, fish sauce and paper rounds, and about 15 minutes of your spare time, you can prepare these in advance to make your morning breakfast easy- peasy. 

So now that I've gotten you on your way, about two hours out you're probably going to want a healthy snack to hold you over until you can get that late lunch. Here's a suggestion: How about a small dose of chopped apple mixed with cinnamon and walnuts? Easy to make, easy to transport, and easy to eat.  

After lunch, maybe to hold you over to a light dinner, here's another suggestion for a healthy snack:  Cubed watermelon snacks made from basil leaves, goat cheese, fresh strawberry and watermelon, and honey drizzle - all stacked on a toothpick.  As much as I love frozen grapes, I think I'd love this hydrating snack even more!


And here's another idea:  Zucchini Sushi Rolls!  Easy to make with zucchini, carrots, capsicum, apple, cucumber and a green onion.  Very little prep time required. 

So, as you can see, there are many snacks and nutritious foods to keep you hydrated on these hot summer days.    

For dinner you might like to consider Coconut Chicken Lettuce Wraps or even Fish Tacos with Watermelon Salsa.  And as for dessert, well ... why not try a Honeydew-Cucumber Margarita Popsicle or a Frozen-Yogurt-Covered Blueberry Kabob?  You can find the recipes for all of my suggestions by entering their names in your favorite search engine.  

So, there you have it - a complete day's worth of healthy and especially-hydrating snacks and meals.  Enjoy!  Copyright © 1/1/2015 -      , CB, Bed Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment