Monday, June 29, 2015

What's Your Biggest Wish?

Happy Monday! No one actually says that, do they? Or maybe in a world where nothing should be taken for granted anymore, they do say it.  Well, "Happy Monday" is how I feel.  For the most part, this past weekend, I was successful in respecting my self-imposed boundaries to manage my overeating, night-eating, and binge-eating behaviors.  And, for that I am grateful.  


The brim of the nation's news coffee cup was reached last week when history was made by SCOTUS passing the Marriage-Equality Act, and the already-embattled Confederate flag came under attack again.  Peace lovers, such as myself, were filled with mixed emotions - on both counts.  I've been active in the women's rights movement for quite some time.  Given that, I tend to take a different view than most when history is made by giving specific sects of the population an increase in beneficial rights or privileges. When others may not, my constituents and I understand the depth of the impact - not only for the current generation, but also for those yet to come - when basic human rights and privileges are withheld, diminished or denied.  


I'm not big on being denied anything that improves the quality of my life; and, for that reason, I took a long hard look at my health this weekend. I wanted to assess the merits of my current existence vs. what I can expect to have over the course of the next few years.  While I wasn't excited about either prospect, I wasn't discouraged either. I think former president, John F. Kennedy got it right when he said, "Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic creative and intellectual activity."  My biggest wish for my body's future is continued mobility.  What's yours?

I am a writer by profession.  As a full-time vocation, writing can extract a huge chunk of solitary time from an otherwise social day.  And writing is, for the most part, a sedentary activity; and, for that reason, the bones and joints of writers tend to "stiffen up" quicker than those of most other people.  Most of the writers I know are very careful about what they put in their saucers or bowls to be used as fuel to keep their creative minds and fingers in synch.  We can spend countless hours at our desks, writing tables, or laptops spewing out the best of words, while we snack or gnosh on .... whatever.  As like-minded people tend to do, we also celebrate loud and long the accomplishments of those in our community.  That usually includes food - and lots of it.  

So, as I see it, if I want to ensure my "continued mobility," the key to altering my eating behaviors is not only planning and watching what I eat, but ensuring I take regular breaks during the course of a writing day.  In keeping with JFK's philosophy, those "breaks" translate into social activity; and, more importantly, exercise of the mind, body and spirit.  As you know, I currently have some restraints of my physical activities caused by a severely sprained ankle - an injury occurring only 11 days ago.  I'm certainly not up for any running marathons, but I'm not crippled either.  In addition to Qigong, I'm acquainting myself with several different exercise routines that serve to increase motor skills, strengthen balance and burn a considerable amount of calories.  And as soon as I'm able, I'll get back into my usual walking regiment. Chattanooga has recently garnered, for the second time in a row, the title of "Best Town" by Outside magazine - so this should be relatively easy.  Was there ever any doubt about what a good walk can do for your overall health? Not for me. 

Now, having said all of this, I'm going to ask a favor or two of you.  If you're a binge-eater, night-eater, or over-eater, think about what you do, or can do, to calm your nerves and soothe your spirit during the times that stress dictates your eating behaviors.  Think about what you want most for your future lifestyle.  And, finally, stay in touch with your "dynamic creative and intellectual" dreams and do what you must to make them come true. 

But, most of all, realize that eating behaviors don't have the right to dictate the quality of your life - ever. 
Copyright © 1/1/2015 -      , CB, Bed Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment