Sunday, June 21, 2015

Identifying the Enemy

Okay, this is an act of foot-forward courage for me.  I acknowledge that I have Binge Eating Disorder, and I've known that I've had it for a long time.  Like others who suffer from BED, I won't admit it to anyone.  Those who know me better than others, suspect I have it, but never say it.  Sure, I've got plenty of friends who watch every calorie they put in their mouths, and still sport bodies that look like 30 vs. 50, but I'm not at all persuaded or influenced by their behaviors or appearances.  After all, has anyone had as hard a life as I have? That is what causes BED, isn't it? Maybe. Maybe not.

Psychiatrists, psychologists, nutritionists and physicians tell us we can overcome BED.  Pharmaceutical companies capitalize upon our weak wills. From outside the box, all of this gives us hope.  But does it really?  As BED sufferers WE know the emotional pain that accompanies any kind of eating disorder.  We are the ones that have to buy new clothes every season; and, only we, know the real reasons why.  Notice I said "reasons," not "excuses."  BED is a real, not imagined, eating disorder.  Its locked-on-iron-clad grip of our psyche offers no long-term solace for the painful results of the short-term eating binge. 

In short, while we're under its addictive spell, we don't care.  That's right. We don't care.  We don't care about how our clothes will fit next week. We don't care about how we look in the mirror - clothed or naked. We don't care about how we are perceived by others with respect to intellect, self-discipline, or initiative.  We simply don't care.  And until we become frightened of our health futures or finally wake up and smell the coffee as to just how much this addiction/disorder is exacting from the quality of our lives, we maintain that food is our very best friend - especially in times of stress and sorrow.  Our very best friend will continue to comfort us through anything.  

And, because of this, we are entitled to eat as much as we want, whenever we want or how we want.  Our bodies become hoarders of food.  It took me a very long time to look at BED in this light, but now I truly see it for what it is - food intake hoarding.  

This blog is intended to inspire me as much as it is  you.  For that reason, I'll post regularly on it.  I hope you'll join me as I travel the road of conquering BED.  I'm willing to share any and all insights I may gain along the way. I promise to give no sermons - only words of encouragement and comfort.  

And, in the meantime, don't hesitate to recommend BEDWarrior.blogspot.com  to those whom you think may benefit from it.  I certainly will.
Copyright © 1/1/2015 -      , CB,Bed Warrior


No comments:

Post a Comment