Monday, June 22, 2015

Mind over Matter vs. Hormone Dysfunction

I came to a realization today. I realized that I was afraid of the refrigerator - not shaking-in-your-boots afraid, but afraid nonetheless. Coming to that conclusion took some careful observations of my thought processes and their subsequent resulting behaviors.  When I realized that part of my eating downfall was actually calculating how much food I could put together from the contents of the refrigerator - before I even decided what I was going to eat - I vowed to start planning my menus for appropriately-portioned-size meals in advance.  Knowing that I was working with that "handicap" today, I decided water, instead of food, was going to become my best buddy. Yes, I'll be drinking more water during the day, and anybody who knows me will tell you I'm not a "water-drinker." Following through on this "food" switch will be more than a little difficult. But it's a necessary piece of the conquering-BED-puzzle.  My fear of the refrigerator is actually a good thing, as it's made me realize that by planning my meals in advance, this towering mass of steel made by General Electric is a safe haven for my upcoming appropriately-portioned-sized meals .  . . and, yes, the cool water that supports them.         

The French-fry picture demonstrates the amount of food people with BED consider to be appropriate start while they're bingeing.  That plate could just as well have been covered with that other well-known and loved comfort food . . .  mac 'n cheese.  Or, it might have held at least three hamburgers.  When you've got Binge Eating Disorder, a/k/a BED, you've got it.  There's no denying it. And it takes mountains of foods such as French fries, hamburgers or macaroni and cheese to satisfy the hunger cravings that accompany it.  Currently, we're all tempted beyond belief by Applebee's Bottomless Fries offer.  I'm putting that imaginary demon in its imaginary place by using the biggest imaginary stick I can find. Nope! No trip to Applebees for me.  

And, on that, I'm pleased to be able to report that I stuck to my guns and ate appropriate meal portions last night, and without eating several different kinds of foods.  What is it they used to tell us? Your food portion size should be no bigger than the size of your fist? Okay, is that a combination of several foods that should, when combined, be no larger than your fist? Or, fist-sized portion of each kind of food on your plate?  Now you see how BED sufferers argue with themselves during, and after, their bingeing.  The difference is that while they're bingeing they totally ignore sound reasonings about their food intake quantities.  That is, if they even have the desire to question it as they're literally shoveling it into their mouths.  Most, don't. Remember, this is what I called "food intake hoarding" in my previous post and it's not pretty. 

Physicians believe BED may be caused by a marked increase in the production of the hormone, Ghrelin.  This little hormone is transported to the Hippocampus of the brain by blood flow.  When we're hungry, levels of Ghrelin are high and memory and learning tasks are easier for the Hippocampus.  Ghrelin is produced by specialized cells in the lining of the stomach and pancreas to signal hunger. Its counterpart is another hormone called Leptin. Leptin gives the signal to the brain that the stomach is full after a meal.  
When Leptin levels are high, hunger is decreased. The "alert factor" of our brains is influenced by both Leptin and Ghrelin.  Think about how high or low your desire to learn is after you've eaten a big lunch or dinner.  Psychologists tell us that one of the best times to call someone when you want them to do something for you is right after lunch when tummies are full and resistance is low.  Seems like the perfect window of time to ask your boss for a raise, doesn't it?

Many times Binge Eating Disorder is confused with simple overeating.  Overeating is an occasional behavior that may manifest itself by taking a second helping of  a food when you already have a sensation of fullness.  Note, I said "occasional."  BED sufferers have an episode of at least one time a week over a period of three months,  marked by stress and/or guilt of overeating, and loss of control over the amount eaten. There are days that if someone told me I could have the entire tray of French fries for myself, I know I'd eat them.  And while I may feel guilty about eating that much, if I were offered the same amount the next day, I'd do it again.  This cavalier behavior is a blatant example of Binge Eating Disorder. 

A big part of my personal strategy to manage my BED is to change my entire day's behavior.  This takes quite a bit of planning on my part as I can usually be found sitting behind a computer at any given time during the day.  I work out of my home, with little distraction, so this should be easy to implement.  The hardest part is to plan for tomorrow, and the next day, ... and the day after that.   I'm not a person who obeys a regiment very well.  But yet, I know that if I'm going to succeed in conquering BED, I have to examine all parts of my lifestyle and behaviors.   And while I didn't eat anything after dinner last night, and kept that meal in moderation, I have no guarantee that I can sustain that practice for tonight or any other night in the future.
My goal is to try to manage my BED without medication.  Some of  you may say I'm kidding myself. Maybe I am, but I won't know if my strategy of mind over matter works until I give it a try, will I?
Copyright © 1/1/2015 -      , CB,Bed Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment