Thursday, August 20, 2015

Anticipation ....

Lately, I've been reordering my life to place daily emphasis on the accommodations I have to make toward success in my long-term goals. Using old-school tools like printed calendars, weight-tracking charts, journals and checkbook registers I've found myself looking at physical reminders of what I'll be accomplishing over the next six to nine months. Studies have shown that one of the best parts in the process of achieving a long-term goal is the anticipation that builds as you put the pieces in place to accomplish it.  

As you know, one of the purposes of this blog is to inspire us to think about, act upon, and changing our over-eating, night-eating, and binge-eating behaviors. When I talk about calendars, weight-tracking chats, journals and checkbook registers I'm giving you hints to one of my personal method-to-my-madness strategies in achieving my weight-loss goal. So, here goes. You know how we're told that we're more likely to remember something if we write it down? It's an old-school discipline, but it still works. The science is that when the brain has to go through the process of interpreting something it wants to remember, followed by translating this same thought, idea or strategy to its supporting systems with the resulting action of the fingers or hands physically writing it down, we're more likely to remember it in the long run.


 This is where the checkbook register comes in.  Yes, I am one of those people who actually records expense entries in my checkbook register; and, I do this for more than one reason. Not only does it tell me how much money I've spent over the past few days but, most importantly to me, it tells me the direction it went in and what it was spent on. That includes food, eating behaviors and all things related to this particular issue and/or goal.  

There's no trickery to this strategy. By recording your expenses, and comparing them to the entries on your calendar/weight-tracking chart and then journaling your feelings about the progress you're making - or not - toward your goal, you've employed one of the most powerful support systems there is in permanently altering your eating behavior(s).  For instance, take a look at that last entry you made from eating with friends at your favorite bistro last Tuesday night. Maybe you spent a little more than you wanted to?  So, what's the financial correction?  The very same one you'd use to sustain a weight-loss goal strategy.  Perhaps you really didn't need that second, or third, glass of wine.  And maybe your entree was a little too "rich," both literally and figuratively. The "eyes" of your brain have seen something that needs to be processed, translated, and recorded for future use. And, all the while, you've built up more anticipation for success in achieving your goal. 

Some would call this process "mindfulness," but I think it runs a little bit deeper than that. Whether, or not, you use old-school tools, the point is that if you're actually excited and building anticipation you're more likely to succeed. 
Copyright © 1/1/2015 -      , CB, Bed Warrior


No comments:

Post a Comment